Editorial activityThe Institute is the editor and publisher of the scientific journal Acta Technica. In addition, the Institute publishes conference proceedings and books on various occasions.
The Institute was established in 1953 as the Laboratory of Mechanical Engineering of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences (CAS). In 1955, it was renamed as the Institute for Mechanical Engineering (also Mechanical Research Institute) and in 1962 as the Institute of Thermomechanics CAS. In 1964, the Aerodynamic laboratory in NovÃ½ KnÃn (30 km from Prague) was established. Since 1986, the main building of the Institute is located in the campus of the Academy of Sciences in Prague 8. In 2006, the Institute merged with the Institute of Electrical Engineering, which was also established in 1953.
Conferences and Lectures
The Institute organizes national and international conferences and seminars and offers lectures by visiting foreign and Czech scientists.
The Institute collaborates with a number of renowned foreign universities and research centres and domestic industrial partners. The Institute and its employees are members of major international societies, associations and communities.
The Institute is the seat of the following societies or their national committees: